Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Gearing Up for Estes--Sheep Thrills!

I'm getting so excited -- this weekend is Estes Park Wool Market, and our fourth time in the Sheep to Shawl Competition. I'm the team captain of "Sheep Thrills", a group comprised of some of my best friends and fiber folks, augmented by a varying collection of "alternates" (the extra member of the team in case someone can't make it or is ill, etc.). For some unfathomable reason, we end up doing it in even-numbered years; there's some kind of jinx that operates in odd-numbered years to keep us from being able to get together.

The original subtitle for "Sheep Thrills" was "Hands Across the Prairie" because half the team is from Iowa: my college friend Rebecca Roush (of R.Rabbit's Fiber Studio) and her friend, now ours too, JoAnne Pruitt. The rest of the regular team are myself, and Catriona MacKirnan (now of Rocky Ford, CO), and Tamara Millyard (Aurora, CO). The second year, 2006, we added "Five Warped Ewes" to our moniker, and I believe in 2008 we added "Dances With Wool." Or was it the other way round? I can't remember. Anyway, I've got to think up some other goofy theme for this year. Hmmm, more sheepy (or sheepish?) puns...

This year is my dear friend Catrìona's turn to weave, and also to design and keep the shawl. The way we do it, each of us has a turn to design the shawl, choose the fleece, and spin up the warp (or most of it), and that person keeps the shawl after we're done. The weaver, whoever it is, keeps any ribbon if we happen to win one and we all split the cash prize if any. We've never used grey or black fleece before, and this time we're using both, as well as a design involving a striped warp. Can't wait to see how it all comes out.

Also, just to be different, we're using Catrìona's vintage aluminum Nadeau loom, which looks like no loom you've ever seen before; it clanks like Marley's ghost, but it gets the job done. That's the loom she's most comfortable with, so that's the one we're using. In fact, her other Nadeau is the loom I'm using at present too until I can afford to buy the Ashford one I've wanted for ages.

If you've never seen or done a Sheep to Shawl, it's totally worth it. Absolutely the most fun anyone can have for the minimal price of the entry fee.

No comments:

Post a Comment